About Shannon Mendes
Originally from Albuquerque, New Mexico, Shannon has lived in Fort Benning, GA, Fayetteville, NC and has been a resident of Colorado Springs for the past eight years. Before moving to Colorado Springs from Fort Benning, GA, she spent eight months researching the area. Finding a place to call home made it easy after determining that District 20 was the best choice in schools for her children. She has two sons who attend Prairie Hills Elementary and Timberview Middle School.
Shannon's career background includes over fifteen years in Information Technology and nine years in Development and Training. In her profession she has worked with hundreds of leaders in the medical, insurance and financial industries in Georgia, North Carolina and Colorado. She's held duties as a Technical Support Specialist, Technical Analyst, Desktop Support, Network Administrator, Network Engineer, and Trainer. Recently she decided to move her career into Development and Training full time.
Shannon has worked for Aventa Credit Union for six years and currently holds the position as their Professional Development Manager. Aventa Credit Union serves over 21,000 members in the Colorado Springs, Pueblo City and San Luis Valley areas. While her duties include developing and training associates, she also works closely with Aventa's Board Members with compliance and regulation trainings, as well as conducting Financial Literacy Seminars for the Colorado Springs Police Academy, Colorado Springs Fire Academy, Pueblo City Police Academy, Pueblo City Employees, and Saquache County School District. As a Junior Achievement Volunteer she also has the opportunity to visit classrooms in Colorado Springs, including District 20 to teach financial programs.
Education - In addition to her degree in Computer Information Systems, she also holds the following professional certifications:
- Microsoft Certified Professional
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
- Microsoft Certified Systems Analyst
- CompTIA A+ and Network+
- Credit Union Development Educator
Community - Wherever Shannon has lived, she finds it fulfilling to serve within her community:
- Red Cross West Central Georgia Chapter Columbus, GA - 1994-1997 and 2001-2005
- Salvation Army Columbus Georgia - 1995-1997 and 2002-2004
- Family Readiness Group Fort Benning Georgia - 2001-2005
- President Parent Advisory Board Growing Room Education Center Columbus, GA - 2003-2005
- Red Cross Highlands Chapter Fayetteville, NC - 1997-2000
- Pikes Peak Habitat for Humanity - 2006-Present
- Care and Share Food Bank for Southern Colorado - 2007-Present
- Marian House Soup Kitchen, Colorado Springs - 2007-Present
- Fostering Hope Foundation, Colorado Springs - 2009-2013
- Junior Achievement, Colorado Springs - 2012 - Present
National and International Service - In addition to her community service she has a passion for serving nationally and internationally with her local church and organizations such as Food for the Poor and Entre Amigos. Through her church and these organizations she has been able to offer her help where needed in the fight for hunger. Her travels to help other communities include New York, New Jersey, Louisiana, Mexico, Nicaragua, El Salvador, and Guatemala.